Cornbread is one of the best southern dishes. It’s such a guilty pleasure of mine. It’s ESPECIALLY delicious with a bowl of chili or a big pile of Red Beans and Rice. As tasty as it is just plain the way it is, it’s always good to ramp it up a bit. This Cheesy Chorizo Stuffed Corn Muffins recipe is a yummy way to do it. Spicy Chorizo, pepper jack cheese, and sweet cornbread make this a perfect side dish or snack.
Which recipe should I use for my corn muffins?
Let’s get the polarizing portion out of the way. Spending a lot of my life in the south, I know people have VERY strong opinions about their corn muffins.
I take a lot of heat for this, but I love Jiffy Corn Bread. Sorry not sorry.
I just love the sweet cornbread. And for me, the spicy cheese and chorizo pairs well with sweetness of the cornbread. But if you like your cornbread a little less sweet, the Aunt Jemima corn meal (paid link) is great because you can customize the sugar level. The only downside is it requires a few more ingredients.
How do I stuff the corn muffins?
It’s really quite easy to get a perfect stuffed corn muffins. There are just a few steps before putting them together:
- Prepare the corn muffin batter and keep it in a bowl
- finely shred cheese
- brown chorizo and thoroughly drain all oil
Once you have those three things, all you have to do is add the ingredients in layers. First, add a small spoonful of corn muffin mix in the bottom of the pans (You only need to do 6 standard muffins).
Second, using a round shaped tablespoon, grab a leveled spoonful of chorizo and add it to the top of the muffin batter.
Third, add the shredded cheese on top of the chorizo.
Lastly, cover each one with the remaining corn muffin batter.
Can I use something other than chorizo?
Yes! Although… if you choose to stuff your corn muffins with something other than chorizo, you will really change the flavor profile.
Chorizo is SO packed with flavor and spice. If you opt for something more mild like ground beef, it’s going to require a bit more added spice so it’s not bland.
As with anything, don’t be afraid to try what you like? Want more kick for your corn muffins? Add some jalapeños. Don’t love pepper jack cheese? Switch to cheddar! Don’t think it’s enough cheese? Add some more! (I’m going to next time).
Unless you are baking something that really requires exact measurements and ingredients, you have a ton of flexibility here!
And that’s pretty much it! A spicy, delicious cheesy chorizo stuffed corn muffin that is sure to be a hit!
Looking for some more finger food snacks? Check these out!
Cheesy Chorizo Stuffed Corn Muffins
- 1 box jiffy cornbread (requires one egg and ⅓ cup milk)
- 8 ounces chorizo
- 2-4 ounces pepper jack cheese finely shredded
- In a medium saute pan, brown chorizo (about 6 minutes)
- Drain and squeeze as much grease out as possible. A mesh strainer will help.
- Mix corn muffin mix according to package directions.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Spoon a little bit, maybe a tablespoon, into 6 standard size muffin tins.
- Using a round tablespoon, spoon a rounded ball of chorizo onto the layer of corn muffin mix.
- Divide cheese and sprinkle on top of corn muffins. Add extra if you like it really cheesy.
- Spoon mix onto the tops of each muffin. Be careful not to use too much so you don't run out.
- Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Using a butterknife, separate the muffin carefully from the size. Remove the muffin from the tin. You made need a fork to help so it doesn't fall apart.
- Serve and enjoy!